The link between Charleston, SC and Pigeons



WIP: "Charleston Roof Top (Rock Pigeons)," 
Oil on prepared 1/2 maple panel, 24 x 36

 Detail image of concrete finial, 2nd layer of color applied.

My current painting on the easel is quickly coming to completion. “Charleston Rooftop (Rock Pigeons)” is a medium to large piece (for me) measuring 24x36 inches. I will share in a future post when the piece is done the narrative behind the painting but for now I am writing about the subject(s) and the habitat that I have placed them in.

 Detail image of one of the pigeons and green decorative scallops, 2nd layer of color applied.

My subject(s) for this painting as with many of my pieces are birds, and in this piece Pigeons seem to fit the environment perfectly. It was the buildings unique cornice work, gable and roof lines that caught my attention and not the birds, the birds were added later. This particular roof top as the name implies is from beautiful Charleston, South Carolina. I love visiting Charleston, what a fantastic city and with so much character. 

  Detail image of the front pigeon and green decorative scallops, 2nd layer of color applied.

While doing a little research on Charleston and Pigeons I found an interesting commonality between the two, at least I found it interesting. Pigeons were introduced to North America by colonists in the early 17th century and not to long after that Charleston was founded in 1680 after moving to its current location (Oyster Point).

Back to the easel…


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dam Painting update

RAS drawing nears completion

NatureWorks Wildlife Art Show & Sale 2009