Presenting "Oystercatchers"

Here's the latest painting off the easel...

Presenting
"Oystercatchers"
Oil on board, 12 x 6


The reference for this painting came from the same trip down to the Outer Banks that the "North Pond on Pea Island (White Ibis)" reference came from. That was a really great reference gathering weekend, I think that I have probably 3-4 more paintings that will come that visit.

The best thing about this painting is the memory that it evokes... right before getting onto the beach at Oregon Inlet I turned onto the access ramp and what do I see in front of me a Mazda Miata buried to its axles in the sand. For those of you familiar with the Outer Banks and driving on the beaches with our four wheel drive vehicles can understand why I am chuckling while I write this. You can not drive on the beach on the Outer Banks unless you have a four wheel drive vehicle and one with sufficient clearance to get through the deep sand. Being the helpful person that I like to think that I am I pulled up beside them and without laughing politely asked "do you all need some help?" So because neither of us had a tow rope or chain I pulled them out with a 100' extension cord that they had in their trunk. That was how I started my reference gathering trip off and is what lead to the finished painting above.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dam Painting update

NatureWorks Wildlife Art Show & Sale 2009

RAS drawing nears completion