Continuing this week to dust off the cobwebs

Presenting “All that Glitters”

9 x 12, Oil




I am continuing this week to dust off the cobwebs from my paintbrushes with the second finished painting for 2024, titled “All that Glitters.” This is another bird from my reference gathering trip to South Texas in February 2023. And it is another bird I had not seen before, a Gold-fronted Woodpecker. 


As with my last painting, I wanted to keep the background simple again, focusing on the value instead of any details. The grass behind the bird had a golden look, so I kept the color but lost all of the grass textures. 


One of the distinguishing markings on the Gold-fronted Woodpecker is the yellow spot in front of its eyes and the yellow-orange nape. I wanted to play off the yellow, so I added some yellow flowers from the field where I had photographed the bird. It makes the painting sparkle, hence the title “All that Glitters.”


I feel completely settled in my new studio and have my painting feet back underneath me. I am now ready to tackle the large commission!


Comments

  1. Great to see your return to the blogosphere with such a beautiful painting, Robert.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dam Painting update

RAS drawing nears completion

NatureWorks Wildlife Art Show & Sale 2009