Long lanky legs!

 


“Frog Legs”

Saddle-billed Stork

Graphite on 300# Arches watercolor paper, mounted to 1/2" maple panel and varnished

9 x 14 inches


“Frog Legs” is the first drawing I drew in my Stork series, a Saddle-billed Stork. It is a beautiful bird to watch in the wild they seem sleek but comical with their movements on those long lanky legs. They have a bright red bill with a black band and a yellow frontal shield which looks like a saddle.


As for most people, 2020 was a challenging year; for me, to put it simply, it was a loss of a business that I had been building for the last six years. I found myself in June 2020 realizing that my art school was most likely not going to survive the pandemic, and I spent the rest of the year working through the process of closing a business. During this time, I did not paint or draw except for instructional purposes for those students who followed me to online instruction. 


In January 2021, I found myself able to focus on my art again. I decided to start with a drawing, graphite pencil is my passion and revisit my 2019 safari to Tanzania by browsing my reference images from that amazing trip. While scrolling through the photos, I found myself stopping and focusing on a group of images with Saddle-billed Storks wading in a watering hole. As I am studying the images, I noticed I was laughing and smiling at the comical awkward dance of this one particular bird, like it was dancing on a set of frog legs. Then I zoomed in on the image, the stork had captured a frog, and it was still in its bill. I knew at that moment this was the inspiration for my reentry back into my beloved world of creating art.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dam Painting update

RAS drawing nears completion

NatureWorks Wildlife Art Show & Sale 2009