Start of a new painting

Here's the composition sketch for my next painting. For me, this will be a large painting and will take some time to finish. The painting will be 32" x 48". I was lucky enough to run across this heron when coming around a bend in a creek at Presquile National Wildlife Refuge. As usual, I had my camera ready and as I started taking reference shots the heron took off. Leaving the refuge, I was disappointed because I thought that I had missed a great shot. To my surprise, when I got back to my studio and uploaded the photos, there was the image of the heron in mid-flight and the lighting was fantastic. I knew I had to paint this bird. It has taken me several weeks to decide on a composition and after actually erasing the first one off of the canvas I have decided on this one. You can kind of see the influence that Wisconsin's "big sky" left on me!


A quick reminder about the Artist Reception at the Burwell-Morgan Mill tomorrow for the "Art at the Mill" show. It is held at the mill from 2-5 p.m. Please refer to past postings for additional information and a map. Hope to see you there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dam Painting update

RAS drawing nears completion

NatureWorks Wildlife Art Show & Sale 2009